Thursday, July 29, 2010

Starting Point and Final Destination

Wednesday morning I weighed in at 232 pounds. Since that comes after about four days of really cutting back, it's safe to say that my "normal" weight was around 235 pounds when I made my change in attitude. That's so much extra baggage to carry around for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks per year. I'll weight myself again on August 1, and then will limit my weigh-in's to the first of every month. With my new approach, I don't need confirmation of success every day, and I don't need the negativity of slight upward bounces that come even when a person is doing the right things.

My destination is 175 pounds. That will eventually be my top weight, the one where I cut back on the eating and/or increase the exercising if my weight creeps above that level. It's not a number picked out of thin air. Back when I was in my late 30's and early 40's, 175 pounds was my standard weight. It wasn't too thin by any means and it was 10 pounds over my standard weight from my active days in athletics.

One could argue that I was younger and more active back then and shooting for 175 is unrealistic as I edge toward my 60's. On the other hand, I was stronger then and we all know that thing about muscle weighing more. I also ate a lot back then and now I'll be eating far less. Plus, the second half of my plan is to start bring back the exercise. I'm walking now and I plan to get below 200 pounds before putting any significant stress on my joints and muscles. Once I get below 200 pounds, there are definitely plans for a return to tennis and jogging. Maybe other things as well, but jogging for fitness and tennis for fitness and social aspects are certainties.

How long will this take? I'm planning on a year to lose the 60 pounds. Maybe it will go quicker, maybe it will take longer, but it doesn't really matter. As you know, dieting is easy so doing what I'm doing won't be a problem no matter what the length of time. I'm looking forward to getting back to 175. That was really a good weight, a very comfortable weight. I'm also looking forward to getting back to a more active lifestyle. Once my fitness returns, my guess is that I'll be amazed at what a huge difference being fit makes in day-to-day living. I've been out of shape so long that I no longer remember what being fit feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment