Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I've Been Cheating Too Much on My Diet

Haven't written much over here in the last week and during that same period I've been cheating a lot of my diet. I've got to get a grip.

The good news is that I'm not cheating when it comes to cutting down on the food intake. That parts going great. What I'm having trouble with is this thing about not weighing myself every morning. It seems like a harmless little whim, but I know how seeing a diet stall can be depressing, and feeling like good efforts are producing little results is the start of a diet breaking down.

Then again, maybe weighing only once a month is too infrequent. I weighed Monday morning and was down to 226.5 pound. That doesn't sound like much, down 2.5 pounds after 2 really good weeks of dieting, but I hope it's an indication that I've broken free of that 228 pound plateau that has been a problem in the past.

Today is the 17th. There are two more weeks to go in August and maybe there will be at least one stretch of good weight loss during that period. That's how it seems to work--a week or so with a nice loss followed by a week or so of the body refusing to go any lower. If the scale shows 222 pounds on September 1, down from 229 on August 1, then this will have been a very good month. If it shows 224 pounds, then I can live with 5 pounds per month, especially after losing so much at the end of July.

The bottom line is that I'm doing the right things when it comes to dieting. When the cooler weather arrives it will be easier to do the right things in regard to getting out and exercising more. I know it doesn't make sense when I say this, but suddenly dieting went from being very hard to being easy and the only thing I changed was my attitude. I just stopped telling myself that it is almost impossible to resist the free candy at the office, the junk food at the grocery story, the drive-thru at Wendy's, etc, and suddenly I was able to resist all of those things without any great pain or sense of being deprived. The difference your attitude can make is like the difference between night and day.

No comments:

Post a Comment