Saturday, August 7, 2010

What Will 175 Pounds Feel Like?

Because it is so far in the past, I can’t remember what 175 pounds feels like. I can’t remember what it feels like to go out jogging and run at a nice steady pace for 4-5 miles. I can’t remember what it’s like to feel really healthy. I know it will feel significantly different from weighing about 235 pounds. I know because I can remember what it was like in 2006 when I dropped from 230 pounds down to 200 pounds and then further down to 190.

What I remember from that last successful diet is that my balance improved remarkably as I lost weight. At 230 pounds there would be times when I would move in a slightly awkward manner and I’d have to grab on to something to keep from falling. It wasn’t often, just here and there and I never actually fell, but it was troubling. That all went away after my weight dropped below the 215 pound range.

Then when my weight hit 210, and 200, and finally 190, I noticed a remarkable change in my tennis game. I had to retrain myself to go for balls that in the past had been unreachable. It wasn't just my imagination, the other in the tennis group all notice the amazing difference. There was an incredible increase in my mobility. What would it have been like with another 15 pounds lost? I wish I had worked a little hard to find out back in 2006.

Admittedly, increased quickness isn’t going to help me that much in my office job or my photography, and improved balance doesn’t mean that I should be applying for a job with Cirque du Soleil. However, we all go through the day moving and twisting and reaching and being active in some manner, and shedding 60 pounds has to make all of that movement easier. Shedding this weight is going to make me feel like I felt 10-15 years ago. It’s going to really improve the quality of my life.

I’m ready for that to happen and it will be well worth skipping an extra sandwich at lunch and my habitual candy during the day to make that happen. I’ll feel like a totally different person by the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment