Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve--A Day of Hectation and Temptations

One of the good things about no one reading your blog is being able to make up words like "hectation". It would have been just as easy to write, "Christmas Eve--A Hectic Day With Temptations", but that doesn't rhyme at all.

It's 10 a.m. and I've been busy. Hauling clothes to the Laundromat to wash and dry four loads. Then off to Krogers. Man is that place busy with people getting last minute food items for Christmas. Found everything at Krogers for my brownies except for the caramels--all they had were the caramels with that white blob in the middle. I love those things, but they won't work for my brownies. Anyway, I had to go to McDade's for the caramel and somehow also picked up a 6-pack of Lime Cactus Michelob Ultra. It might come in handy on a day of hectation. The first of the 6 is helping me write this post and it might take 12 to 24 ounces more to get me through the brownie making phase of the day.

I guess that's the next phase in my day, making brownies. Have to make the ones with mint patties and chocolate in the middle, then another pan for the brownies with caramel and chocolate. After that I'll iron clothes while watching a DVD. I'm leaning towards "Edward Scissorhands" since it has parts that feel like Christmas. Then I have to get my Christmas presents ready for this evening (it doesn't take too long to put cash in envelopes), get my camera gear lined up, maybe work on the photos from the Wednesday party, write a few Merry Christmas emails, do a Christmas post for the fle-pics blog, and finally get ready for the Christmas Eve parties. The first party is just Mom and my siblings and their families. That's from 5:30 to 7:00, followed by the bigger party with cousins and that one goes from about 7 to 9. It's going to be a very long day.

What does all this have to do with dieting? Not much on one level, and a whole lot on another. Isn't this where all of us get in trouble with our diets, those periods when things get hectic (or as some like to say, those days of hectation), and the days when special circumstances seem to justify binge eating that will undo several days of good efforts. I think the realistic person looks for a compromise in these situations.

In my case, I will lick the spoons, bowls, mixer beaters, and everything possible after making the brownies. That's a tradition that shouldn't be broken, but I don't need to add a lunch in with the cooking lagniappe. I also don't need to short the brownies of a few mints or a couple of ounces of chocolate chips in order to get in a little extra snacking in the afternoon. This is not a day to shoot for perfection. It's Christmas Eve and rather than trying to mark the occasion by being a Dieting Saint, enjoy the time with friends and family and just don't let the dieting devil tempt you into something you'll regret for the next 7 weigh-ins. Find a reasonable balance and have a great day. Merry Christmas to everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You are funny. :) I'm spending my Christmas Eve vacuuming dog hair out of the floor. It's my Christmas present to myself. Have a fun time at your parties.

    ReplyDelete