Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How Much Cutting Back is Enough?

I've done a good job of cutting back from most of the junk that was keeping me away from any chance of losing weight. No candy at work, no sampling of the free food brought to work, very few trips to Wendy's and never buying the combo meals. It's a start, but it doesn't feel like enough.

Right now it feels like I've dropped to a healthy level of eating for maintaining my weight, but not a low enough level to lose weight. I don't want to rush things by trying to do too much, too soon. On the other hand, I don't want my body to think there's going to be enough food around to keep my weight comfortably near the 230 pound level.

It's tough to find the right balance. We want enough food so that dieting doesn't feel like a punishment and so that a person feels like they can develop a healthier view of eating for a lifetime. However, my body has 60 pounds of stored food that I need to burn off in order to reach my goal. That's not going to happen unless I start short changing my body of its daily needs.

That's got to be my focus every day, trying to end the day about 500 calories short of what I need for that day. It won't promote a rapid weight loss, but it will promote the type of weight loss that might be kept off for far longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment