Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday--April 15, 2011

When telling a friend about my timetable for losing weight, this friend offered an interesting suggestion: "Why don't you just focus on losing 2 pounds a month?"

This seems like way too low a goal when looking from the present forward. However, in looking at the past, I've been trying to get my weight down for 5 years. At 2 pounds per month, that would be almost 100 pounds lost, a number that is far greater than what I actually need to lose.

My friends comment did get me thinking about setting specific goals of how much to lose in what period of time. Is that really important? In my case, I just need to get moving in the right direction. Fast is good, medium paced is okay, but even 2 pounds per month is better than nothing. If a person is losing 2 pounds per month then they aren't gaining weight--that right there is a huge success for many people who have trouble keeping their weight under control.

Truthfully, I would like to do better than 2 pounds per month. I know that a faster rate is possible without much change in my life. Maybe 1 pound per week is a better goal, something closer to 4 or 5 pounds per month. That would add up to 35-40 pounds by the end of the year. That's not too shabby and it would leave me a lot less flabby.

Rather than have a specific plan, I want to concentrate on "doing well" each day. Starting off each day with 5-10 minutes on a blog post (this is a longer exception) that is geared towards setting goals for that one particular day and then trying to meet those goals. A one day diet. Then tomorrow I can start another one day diet.

As for writing the blog post, I need to stop trying to write for the world and just write for myself. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's can be the same thing over and over without me having to worry about boring people. After all, usually it's the same pitfalls that I have to watch out for day after day.

So, getting on to today. My big pitfall at work is always the free candy. Let's see if I can get through today without a single piece of candy. Then at lunch, I know how it feels so mentally right to have 2 hot pockets for lunch, but let's cut that down to 1 hot pocket and a yogurt for desert. Then this evening I'll probably end up at two music shows. Let's skip the beers and order diet sodas. Honestly, if my doctor told me I had to give up alcohol for the rest of my life, it wouldn't phase me a bit. Giving up diet sodas would be a far more difficult plan to follow.

For the record, I was 226 pounds this morning. I've been hanging around that 225 area for a while. That's progress from the 235 area from the beginning of the year, but I can do better. Success will be accomplished one day at a time. Nothing spectacular, just a string of days with good decisions like passing on the candy, shaving off a couple of hundred calories at lunch, and then passing on 500-600 calories of liquid in the evening. Do that day after day and the weight will come off. Do that day after day and a person will build habits that will go far in keeping the weight off.

No comments:

Post a Comment